The writing process – did you learn it 100 years ago in school somewhere along the line? Do you remember what Mrs. Something said? Maybe not. When you don’t write regularly or you’re not in a field that requires much writing, it’s easy to forget how to get from point A to point Z. As a public service message, we’re here to review the writing process quickly with you, then describe our own process for producing quality content.
- Brainstorming: This is the step you take to generate topics and narrow them down.
- Outlining: This is when you organize your thoughts, either on paper or in your head.
- Drafting: This is the oft dreaded “sit down and write” step.
- Revising: This is the part of the process that requires you to examine your draft closely and clean up the content’s organization, wording, etc.
- Proofreading: This is when you identify and correct typos, misspelling, punctuation issues, formatting problems, etc.
Now that you’ve been transported back to the days of small desks and spitballs, here’s what we at All Things Writing do as a team to generate each piece of content we deliver:
- Interview the client.
- Get a topic, either from clients or from our brainstorming.
- Narrow the topic to something specific to the client’s business and/or philosophy.
- Outline (usually in our heads).
- Draft a piece, which goes to an editor.
- Revise the piece, paying particular attention to voice.
- Send the piece to the client for review.
- Make changes based on client requests.
- Proofread once more.
- Publish and disseminate the product through various channels.
Yes, this really IS the process we go through for EVERY piece of content we produce unless the client opts out of approving the content prior to publication. (Some clients do this when they are too busy to review. They trust our editorial process and our content specialists, which is perfectly acceptable, since we would not put out anything that clients would not be proud to call their own.)
Here are some other things you should know:
- We currently have a team of nine, plus two partnering companies, providing a full spectrum of services.
- We keep up-to-date on social media and content marketing trends.
- We are proficient in or learn various website platforms in order to accommodate our clients and post for them.
- We publish through a variety of social media channels, according to required formats.
- We partner with web development experts to create attractive, functional websites.
- We have a graphics professional to design logos, marketing materials, eBooks, hard copy books and more.
- We partner with a video professional to supplement written content.
- We help write and publish books.
- We offer content marketing consultations. We also teach clients to use their websites and social media platforms.
So now you know the inner workings of All Things Writing. Have questions about something not listed here? Email All Things Writing, LLC. We will respond to you in a timely, courteous manner.